In the spirit of starting the blog, I've decided to keep a production diary of the progress on my new film, Patient. It’s mainly to keep me honest, and to keep me focussed.
This is a project I wrote the initial draft for while I was at the Royal College of Art, about an old man dealing with being stuck in hospital. It was based on real like, on the hospital experience I was having regularly visiting my abuelo in hospital after his diabetes-related stroke. Originally, it was actually almost exclusively one shot, entirely focussed on feeling like visiting hours at the hospital - things changed when you weren’t there, and you were never sure what state you were going to find him in when you arrived. I didn’t make the film at the time as it felt a little too close to home, living it and trying to deal with it and making a film about it at the same time just wasn’t working for me.
After my abuelo died, the story (in real life) had an ending. Time passed, and with a bit of distance it’s the right time for me to revisit the project.
I’m also using this film as an excuse to step away from using After Effects, and learn Moho. It’s new, and a bit of a challenge, but I can see it being an interesting way of animating this and compositing it afterwards. I’m hoping I can make it work for a pared-back, UPA-style animation, mainly because the designs don’t involve splitting the head and body like the did for Herman Brown.